The Friends of Rye Harbour Nature Reserve was founded in 1973 to raise money in order to improve and enlarge the nature reserve and to do so by encouraging interest in the conservation of wildlife and scenic beauty within the area.
The Friends now have more than 2000 members, who make a big difference to the reserve by providing funds, but many also volunteer - opening the Information Centre or helping with practical habitat management. The Friends work in partnership with Sussex Wildlife Trust, other local organisations and landowners through a management committee.
The Friends contribute so much to the work of the nature reserve in a variety of ways, they:
- make significant contributions to most of the nature reserve's wildlife projects
- contributed to the purchase of Castle Water by the Sussex Wildlife Trust
- run the Information Centre
- created the Wader Pool near the river
- funded the vehicles
- provide two offices and a workshop
- part-fund the four nature reserve staff
- funded five bird watching hides (all now with wheelchair access)
- and is a major contributor to the Rye Harbour Discovery Centre
Registered charity no 269535
Join the Friends of Rye Harbour Nature Reserve
You can join the Friends for as little as £10 per person and £15 for households or as much as you would like on the form downloaded by clicking this link - Friends membership form
You can now join online on the Friends website by clicking here
Members receive three Newsletters a year that give details of the wildlife and special events just for FRIENDS, including guided walks and winter talks. But the real benefit in supporting the
Friends is knowing
that you are helping us deliver improvements at Rye Harbour Nature
Reserve for wildlife and people.